Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What is APHIS?

Step 2: The day I took my dog for the rabies vaccine, I scheduled her next appointment within 10 days of my trip. I actually set it up for nine days ahead of my entry into Brazil, so that I would have time to get all the paperwork done.
I showed Dr. Steven the copy of the information I printed out from the Brazilian Embassy web page, and asked him if he knew what the APHIS document was. Although he is a veterinarian accredited by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (and this is a requirement to certify the documents), he did not know what the APHIS form was. It would take some investigation.
When I got home I Googled APHIS and found out that it is the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. I clicked on Animal Health, and then on "Find a Local VS Area Office" in the right-hand column. I clicked on my state (California) and got the number of the area office in Sacramento. It's in a pop-up window, so your pop-ups must be enabled for this site. I called them, and they gave me the address of my local office in Los Angeles.
I called the local office and they were really helpful. All I needed to to was to tell them I would be traveling to Brazil and they knew just what form I would need. It's called APHIS Form 7001, and it is a non-faxable NCR form. The only thing was that my veterinarian would have to fax a request for the form on his business letterhead, and then I would have to go pick it up. They could have mailed it if I had requested it way ahead of time, but I was concerned about the time factor, so I just decided to pick it up myself. Their office is only open to take requests from 7:30 AM to 12 noon, M-F.
So, after checking that they had received my veterinarian's request, I went to pick it up this morning. The office is easy to get to. It's near LAX, off of Century, on La Cienega.

No comments:

Post a Comment