Friday, July 10, 2009

It's Expensive!



Step 5: Today was the busiest day. Everything regarding the dog must be done within 10 days of entering Brazil, so time is of the essence.
8:30 AM: I took Cha Cha to Dr. Steve's office to get the APHIS Form 7001 filled out and signed. (I already had the rabies certificate signed from before.) Dr. Steve also wrote up a travel health certificate for Cha Cha. Sometimes airlines require this, and it will be required to re-enter the U.S. It should be good for 30 days, but since the exam was 10 days prior to my arrival in Brazil, and I will be there 30 days, I will have to check and see if it will still be valid when I return. While I was at the veterinary office, I also picked up a new supply of heartworm medicine (preventative). The recheck exam, the health certificate & the Heartguard came to $96.80.
9:30 AM: Next stop, the APHIS office.
I got there about 10:15 and there was one couple in front of me who were taking their dog to Grand Cayman. Their situation seemed to take a lot of time, and was even more complicated than mine! When it was my turn, I had to change the part of the form that says "consignee" to add the address of where I was going to be staying in Brazil. Lucky I had that with me! The APHIS gentleman put the APHIS stamp on the Form 7001 and on the rabies certificate. The USDA veterinarian in the APHIS office signed the form as well. They removed the white copy from the top and stapled it with the rabies certificate and instructed me to submit those two documents to the Brazilian consulate. This all cost $34, payable only with Visa credit card, money order, or check. (No cash or Amex.) Lucky again I had a Visa card with me.

11:00 AM now, and the Brazilian consulate closes the application windows at 12 noon. I still had an hour. The gentleman in the APHIS office, obviously very familiar with this process, instructed me that the best way to get to the consulate from there was to stay going north on La Cienega until you hit Wilshire (quite a ways!) and it is on the corner. I agreed, knowing that the freeway traffic on the 405 would be very slow. Off I went, only to hit a very major traffic jam which held me up at least 20 minutes! I was biting my nails by then!

11:45: I was there! Parked, put the dog in her carrier, and took everything up to the 7th floor. They give out numbers like at the deli. I was number 27 and they were on 22. I had a little wait ahead of me. It was after 12 when they finally called my number. I turned everything in to a very nice young lady, who told me she also travels with her Lahsa Apso, so I felt reassured. Turning in the paperwork for the dog admittance document cost $20, and they accepted cash. Then she said that I could come and pick it up on Monday at 9 AM! I thought I would get it today (Friday)! I don't know how people do this if they live far away or if they are working a job where they cannot take time off! Fortunately, since I am a teacher and I am on summer vacation, I will be able to pick it up, without a day to spare. Tuesday morning I am leaving for Miami, to visit with my sister a few days before my flight to Brazil leaves.

Total cost today: $15o.
Next I will write about getting a flight that will allow Cha Cha to be in the cabin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment